Seasons Greetings . . . With Cashew Tarts

by abby on Sunday, January 3, 2010




Wow I haven't blogged since last year! With all the crazy happenings that the holiday fever seems to make I have been officially in holiday mood - no work, no emails, no worries has made me a happy little vegimite for the past couple of weeks. But yes reality hits unfortunately and I have to go back to work tomorrow...

So how was your Christmas and NYE celebrations? Hope you had the best time ever with all your special ones close by! My Christmas and NYE was spent with family - a nice quiet getaway with my immediate family to Port Stephens and a big old fashioned Christmas day with my larger extended family. Sorry not too many pics were taken this season, the weather was abit gloomy so it made me abit lazy with getting the camera out.

In one of my old posts I talked about how some of my Christmas gifts were going to be DIY. I decided to go for boxes filled with Cashew Tarts and I thought I'd post up the recipe.


Makes: 24 tarts

Crust Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 1/1 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
  • 1 tblsp lemon juice
  • 6 tblsp iced water
Cashew Filling:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tblsp melted butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 150g chopped cashew nuts

Steps:
  1. For the crust: sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Add butter until mixture looks like coarse breadcrumbs. Add egg yolk and lemon juice. Blend in 1 tablespoon water at a time until the dough can be formed into a ball. Wrap in waxed paper with abit of flour and chill in the fridge for 30mins.

  2. For the filling: combine all the filling ingredients and set aside.

  3. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. After crust has been chilled, roll out dough on a floured surface until it is 3mm thick. Grease mold (I used a muffin tray) and cut out circles to fill the base of each mold (I used a wineglass for cutting circles).

  4. Pour about 1 tablespoon of filling into each mold. Don't overfill the crust since it will spill out! Bake for 20-25 minutes or until crust is light brown. Let cool and store in an air tight container if you're not planning to eat immediately.

That's it! I made about 96 of these tarts and the house smelt so gooood for about a week. I had to keep on taste testing as I went along to make sure each batch was fine so that's probably the only hard thing about making these - they're too good to pass up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails